Friday, February 27, 2009

Publication News: Blogging About Careers Lesson

Just dropping in to announce the publication of a Grades 6–8 lesson I recently wrote for a humongo database of research-based, educator-vetted lesson plans called ReadWriteThink.

RWT was created jointly by the International Reading Association (IRA) and the National Association of Teachers of English (NCTE), and it has been online since 2002. As my fellow children's writers out there know, both of these organizations play important roles in getting good books into kids' hands. (Never mind the many other crucial ways they support educators and students.)

I've written eight lessons for RWT over the last couple of years, with a batch of three publishing this spring. The one that went live today is called "Exploring Careers Using the Internet." Kids research various occupations and then post their findings to a classroom blog (powered by Blogger, of course), which they then promote to a larger audience. I hope any kids that work with the project have fun with it!

On a promotional note that truly has nothing to do with my work (really, my contributions to the site are a mere droplet in the bucket): I can't recommend the RWT site itself highly enough — it contains thousands of ready-to-use lesson plans that busy reading and language arts teachers can download (for free) and adapt to their classroom needs. So, if you're an educator that has stumbled across this blog, I say "Get thee to RWT."

3 comments:

Opus #6 said...

I love children's books. We have SO many in our house. And will my youngest just turning 1, I have no excuse to lighten the bookshelves. I'm sure you understand. ;-)

Lisa said...

Never enough bookshelves. I do try to weed the collection about once a year. I get rid of books I've reviewed (usually those that have been sent to me) or have bought for work. If I don't absolutely love it or need it, it's got to go!

Teena in Toronto said...

Excellent initiative!

Happy blogoversary!